As a wedding photographer you are highly respected by the couple. You were handpicked from the list of individuals in your area with an expensive camera and a Facebook page. You were selected because the couple is confident that you have the ability to capture their wedding in a timeless and creative manner and you will never miss a moment of their special day.
The guests, on the other hand, see you as paid help, a camera man, and a nuisance preventing them from capturing their prized iPhone or Galaxy S5 shot for Instagram.
These are a few things that I will not do as your wedding photographer. So please inform your guests before the big day.
- Guest: Mr. Photographer, can you please step to the left or right? I can’t see the kiss.
- Guest: Can you please take a picture of the kiss with my camera?
- Mother/Decorator/Friend: Can you please roll out the aisle runner before the bride walks down the aisle?
- Guest: Can you please make me look skinny?
- Wedding Planner: Can you please open the door before the Bride comes in and close it “after” the Bride enters the church?
- Wedding coordinator: Can you please play track 13 when the bridal party is marching down the aisle and track 5 for the bride?
- Maid of Honour: Can you please take the Bride’s shoes to the car and get her sandals? It’s in the black suitcase with the red accent, to the right corner, in a mauve paper bag, under her blue jeans.
- Bridesmaid\Groomsman: Can you please take a picture of the beautiful group shots, you spent hours coming up with, with my camera?
- Guest: Can you please take a picture of me and your beautiful assistant/wife and email it to me? It’s been over 6 months since I’ve changed my facebook cover photo.
My answer to all these requests?…. “That’s not how this works. That’s not how any of this works”
It’s not that I don’t want to be helpful. However, I will not do any task that I believe would prevent me from adequately performing my contractual obligations to my clients or will cause me to miss a shot.
In regards to number 9, I’m sure someone thinks you’re a handsome young man. However, any picture of my wife will look wayyy better without you in it. PEACE!